Management Colleges are booming across the country as a career in administration is a priority for graduates. To get admission into top B schools in the country, it is required to clear competitive exams such as CAT.
The CAT or the Common Admission Test is a computer-based selection process conducted by the Institutes of Management. This exam is a prerequisite for entry into top MBA programs in India. The CAT score is accepted by more than 100+ top business schools for filling their 4000+ management seats in the country. CAT registration happens in the first week of August every year for aspirants to apply and appear for the exam.
Table of Contents
Eligibility Criteria for CAT exam:
Students wanting admission in top management schools need to get a good score in the CAT exam for graduates. The exam date will fall in the month of November every year. To appear for the exam, they need to fulfil certain eligibility criteria, which are as follows,
- A candidate wishing to take up the CAT exam should hold a Bachelor’s Degree with at least 50% marks or its equivalent CGPA.
- The candidates belonging to the reserved section of the community need to have a minimum of 45% marks.
- Candidates appearing for their final year examination and those who have completed the exam and awaiting results are also eligible for CAT registration.
- The percentage of their aggregate marks are calculated based on the process that is defined by the concerned institution or university. CAT admit card will not be issued for those applicants who do not fulfill the eligibility criteria.
- Fulfilling the minimum eligibility marks and securing CAT admit card alone does not ensure admission into IIMs.
- There is no age bar to appear for the exam and those who graduated under the old system of graduation are eligible for the exam.
- The student should declare and maintain a unique email id and phone number until the CAT exam date and throughout the selection process.
Also Read – Top 20 tips for CAT Exam Preparation
Shortlisting procedure for MBA Aspirants:
Shortlisting the candidates for admission into MBA degree in IIMs is purely based on the candidate’s performance in their CAT exams. Their percentile scores will alone guarantee admission into top management institutes. The institutions that are participating in CAT exam will release their own cut off for CAT 2019. The cut off for admission will be prepared after considering various factors other than marks for IIM admission. Students who meet the cutoff gradients are eligible for admission selection rounds. The detailed selection process includes the following.
- Candidate’s percentile scores will be thoroughly assessed by the admission committee
- Cut off is calculated based on the scores, past academic records, work experience and a lot more.
- Selected candidates have to undergo written ability test, personal interview, and group discussions.
- MBA aspirants are required to apply separately for all the participating institutes that accept CAT score within dates allotted.
Notification for CAT registration tentatively starts by July 2019 for this year. The selection procedure depends on the regulations laid by the institute. Admission criteria are different for each IIM and will be released soon after the CAT exam date is announced.
Selection procedure for CAT 2019:
Some of the existing Institutes of Management such as IIM Calcutta, IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Bangalore will conduct their own selection procedures. The same is been communicated after announcing the CAT exam date in the respective websites.
The newly established IIMs will follow the common Admission process. After shortlisting of the candidates who have taken up CAT registration, the students are made to appear for common written ability tests and rounds of personal interview. The performance of the candidates will be assessed by the representatives from IIMs. They will declare an institute wise merit list based on their individual selection criteria. They will release their own merit list based on CAT score and percentage and also the profile of the student.
The Newly established IIMs such as IIM Nagpur, Jammu, etc., releases their own CAT admit card and their merit list and does not conduct group discussion, personal interview rounds, etc.
CAT application form for the year 2019 will be made available tentatively in the second week of August. The end date for filling up the form will be in the last week of September. Those meeting the eligibility criteria will be issued CAT admit card to take up the exam.
To know CAT 2019 exams dates visit https://www.shiksha.com/mba/cat-exam-dates
Do you have a passion for writing? Do you have opinions and experiences you want to share with the world? Come onboard and write for us Education! We’re eager to hear what you have to say! We have readers looking for the latest news and the hottest gossip. Set the page on fire with your pen and enthrall us.